Your friendly expat meet-ups in DelftWelcome to the Delftians meet-ups!
We are a bunch of expats in or around Delft who catch up for informal meet-ups every other Thursday night. We also try to boost side activities like squash, poker, cook-ins, pub quizzes and that sort of stuff. Just come up with your idea and we'll see if it takes off.
|Image credits below|
We also have a Facebook page for you to shout out about good restaurants, sell your coffee table or ask about a good dentist. To find out more about the group, check our FAQ section.
How to join Delft's expat clubAs long as you're friendly, over 18, and an expat, come join us. Just send an e-mail to email@example.com with the following basic information about yourself:
- Your first name and the first letter of last name (you wouldn't believe how many Davids there are out there. It gets confusing)
- Native language
- The Dutch town you live in
- How you heard from us
Feeling shy?We've all been there. The idea of meeting a bunch of strangers can be a bit daunting. The thing is, not everyone at the drink is a veteran, so you won't be alone, and the atmosphere is genuinely relaxed and convivial.
|Image credit below|
- Sometimes there's quite a few of us, and sometimes it's just 4-5 people.
- We have a fair few Shell employees, postdocs/PhD's, and European Patent Office people. But it's a pretty eclectic mix, really, with people from all walks of life.
- The age range is REALLY broad (mid twenties to over sixties).
- The main language is English as we have quite a few Brits and Americans, but all sorts of nationalities come (Greek, Polish, Costa Rican, you name it).
How to find usWe meet roughly every two weeks, on Thursday evenings from 8.30pm, at the Proeflokaal in Delft (Gasthuislaan 36-38, Delft).
If you're not sure who we are, ask at the bar. It's a tiny pub and we've been going there for years. Grab yourself a beer and come sit down.You never know. You might get to speak your home language, or even make long-lasting friendships.
Your admin teamYou've guessed from our website that we're not IT wizzes. This is your admin team.
Joe Neesan: US: Joe moved to the Netherlands over forty years ago. He used to work for the American Book Center but is now retired. Joe is the host with the most. He organizes events and mingles with the guests at the drinks.
Laure-Anne Visele, Belgium/UK: Laure-Anne is a zoologist (working with dog behaviour). Laure-Anne originally founded the Delftians, but has taken a backseat in managing the group. Laure-Anne still occasionally hosts the drinks and helps with the odd admin thing.